How to choose the best event destination? Most companies have this question when starting to organize an event or congress. It is not only about picking the right dates, preparing invitations and ﬁnding the right guest speakers. The destination is just as important. To help you with this we have made a checklist for the best event destination. By following this checklist, we are sure you will be able to ﬁnd the most suitable event destination.
But before you start you must ask yourself the following question:
What is the purpose of the event?
- Product launch
- Management meeting
- Formal or informal
Checklist: The Best Event Destination in 10 steps
√ Map the wishes and requirements
- Make a list of the most important wishes and requirements for the event to create a preliminary concept and program.
- Make a pre-selection of the diﬀerent destinations.
- How would you describe the location; what should it look like, feel like?
√ Plan the budget
Calculate a realistic budget for the location, transportation, hotel and acvities. Don’t forget to include unforeseen costs, but we can help you with this. Request quotations from us and explain the concept program. If things change for the event, just ask us for a new quotation.
√ Decide in which time of the year the event will take place
Think about the date when you would like to organize an event. Prices and availability may vary depending on the month and season. Moreover, choose an ‘emergency date” in case a lot of guests are not available.
√ Map how many will be attending and where the attendees are coming from
- Who will be joining the event?
- Take a look at the target group (age, gender, lifestyle, interests)
- Create your event persona
- How big is the group
- What type of activities; full program with tours and workshops or a lot of free time?
√ Check whether the destination you have in mind is easily accessible
Check the accessibility of the locations, how can participants get there by plane, car and public transport? Also look at an acceptable travel time for the guests and whether a shuttle service is required.
In case of travelling by plane, check the direct ﬂights to the nearest airport. Amsterdam would be a great location because of the proximity of Schiphol airport to the city center.
If guests come from diﬀerent countries, it might be better to meet somewhere in the middle. For companies based in France and the Netherlands, it will be better to hold the event in Belgium, which is more central.
- When people are travelling by car also consider the time it takes to get to the location, e.g. no more than 1 hour drive. It may also be a good idea to opt for a destination that is close to most people so only a few people have to travel a bit longer.
- Also, check whether there are suﬃcient (free) parking options.
- Lastly, is the location accessible for disabled people, e.g. are there special parking places and sanitary facilies which are wheelchair friendly? Are there any obstacles, such as stairs, and is there a lift available?
√ Think about the content of the event program
The event program is also important to consider when selecting a destination. To be able to choose the best event destination, you should think about the content of the event. What is the purpose of the event?
- Product launch
- Management meeting
- Client event
The purpose of the event guides you to the content of the program.
Take a look at the next scenarios:
- If bonding is very important, a large city might not be ideal, a nature area could be more suitable for organizing intimate activities
- In case that there is a lot of free time in the program, it’s easy if the accommodation is near the city center so that he attendees can explore the city by themselves.
- If the purpose is teambuilding and you want to organize a lot of outdoor activities, you must look for a destination where this is possible, taking into consideration the distances, weather, etc.
- If the program is more relaxed or does not entail too many activities, the choice of destination will be more ﬂexible.
√ If there are activities, think about what kind of activities you prefer
- In case of outdoor activities you must always check on the weather. Depending on the type of acvity, there are multiple options:
- If you want to organise a teambuilding event for a competitive group, go for a destination that oﬀers a lot of activities
- In case of bonding activities: choose a private venue in a calm and peaceful area
- In case of an incentive and getting to know the destination: ideally choose a destination that oﬀers many tours and activities for your guests
√ Tips on searching suitable accomodation and venues
- If you are looking for something specific it makes the search a lot easier if you call in an event agency. EVENTÔIR can help with finding the accommodation and/or venues that meet your expectations and fulfill your needs. We have contacts in many destinations and we are able to find you something in a specific time frame.
- Planning in advance will give you more opportunity to get the number of rooms at the planned destination and prices can be more attractive.
- If you plan on organizing an event in diﬀerent venues, check the distances and availabilities of every location.
- If you prefer an exclusive location, just for your group, we can check whether this is possible for you.
- Many event venues have multiple meeting areas but also check if they oﬀer enough separate break-out rooms to organize parallel sessions. It is also important to check whether the meeting rooms have good acoustics. When organizing a congress it is important that everyone can understand the speaker as well as their fellow guests.
- Most guests prefer not to stay in the same space the entire day, you could arrange for lunch in a separate area or an off-site dinner.
Let us know what you are looking for and we will look for suitable options. You can choose the option that matches your vision and object, but also your budget, while oﬀering your guests a great experience.
√ Work with trusted suppliers
We have trusted local partners in more than 40 event destinations, enabling us to organize large-scale corporate events throughout Europe and beyond. In collaboration with our partners, we create local destination experiences no matter what the purpose of your event is.
√ Plan a site inspection
- Only if you have seen and discovered the location with your own eyes, you will know whether it matches the atmosphere that the event should radiate. If possible, try to inspect the site beforehand. Preferably with a colleague, because two pairs of eyes see more than one. We are specialized in doing site inspecon, after having seen the good and the better, so we can help you with this important step.
- Check whether the location portrays the right atmosphere. Is there room for improvement to achieve the right atmosphere?
- The location has its own expertise and likes to provide input. Make sure you use it. Do they have addional ideas or oﬀers?
It is important to consider all the above items when choosing your ideal location and we can help you with this. We can make sure that every point is fulﬁlled and matches your wishes and desires. As an event manager, we have seen many destinations and locations and can therefore provide you with matching oﬀers that will make your clients experience an unforgettable event.
Completely new on our website, Check it out!
Take a look at our Destination Page: Here we give you some information about destinations where you can organize your next event. This is great for inspiration after having read our checklist for the ideal event destination.
Would you like to receive a destination presentation made by EVENTÔIR?
EVENTÔIR made different destination presentations for you to choose from.
Please fill in the contact form and specify in the message bar which event destination you’re interested in.
Give us a call to discuss the checklist for the ideal event destination. Maybe you already have a destination that you may like. We can give you tips, and maybe we know of some place that you have not even thought of! We will be happy to organize your event and make everyone have a unique and memorable time!
Take a look on the EVENTÔIR Instagram page, for inspiration, and new event destinations.